Tuesday, September 14, 2010

When good cats go bad...

We officially own the worlds dumbest cat.

His name is Doofey.

Last week I left a crochet project out on the kitchen table. When Paul got home he found Doofey attempting to eat my project.

That stupid cat had managed to swallow more than 6 feet of cotton yarn!

Paul pulled most of it back out (YUCK!!) but Doofey has been sick ever since.

On Sunday I finally broke down and took Doofey into the emergency vets office. They did x-rays and gave him medicine to make him feel better. However, they were unsure of whether there was more yarn left in his system. They wanted to keep him for observation and more x-rays, at a possible cost of $700-$1000.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my cat... but that is a stupid amount of money to spend on him.

I told the doctor that I would take him home and monitor him there. I also promised to take him in to our regular vet on Monday morning so that he could have another x-ray to see if anything had changed.

I then paid the emergency vet $350. (YIKES!!)

Yesterday morning I called our regular vet and told them that Paul would be bringing Doofus in for more x-rays. I also figured it was also a good time to get Butters updated on his shots (since the groomer doesn't like getting rabies from an angry Butters when trying to trim him). The vet said that we could leave Doofey with them for observation and x-rays, and bring Butters in that afternoon for his shots.

So... yesterday afternoon I took in Butters for his shots and to pick up Doofey. The doctor showed me the new x-rays of Doofey. They were still inconclusive as to whether there was more yarn in him. They informed me that the only way to know for sure would be to do an ultrasound, which would cost about $350.

At that point I started to think that maybe I would just help Doofey go into the light by hand...

Anyway, I told the vet "no" because it cost too much and thanked them for their help. I then wrote another check for $300 to the regular vet for everything that they did for both cats. (DOUBLE YIKES!!!)

So, now everyone is back home. We are still on watch with Doofey. I did confirm that there is yarn in his system last night, because I found some in the box. (SUPER EEEEWWWW!!)

All of my yarn is safely stored away in drawers now.

Paul says that if Doofey survives this he's going to kill him.

At this point I might help him with that...

1 comment:

TrevnMe said...

I seriously just threw up.